Wednesday 4 January 2012

Additional images for Plant ID

Choisya ternata blooming in a park in Glasnevin.

My plant ID test nemesis, Elaeagnus x ebbingei.

The delightful autumn colour of a
 Cotoneaster horizontalis.

Aucuba japonica

Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' does not
look like its "big brother" P. laurocerasus.

Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' in park, badly
maintained and poorly (note chlorotic leaves).
Stipa tenuissima 'Pony Tails'
(source)

Fatsia japonica in bloom at Dublin Zoo
Fatsia japonica

Viburnum tinus 'Eve Price' in bloom
in December.

I wanted to make a whole separate post on trees, but ended up spending my afternoon worm wrangling instead. Here's a picture of the avenue length of the North Circular Road, with the vista carefully aimed at the Wellington Monument in the distance. This is the kind of thing I worry about replacing - will the future city horticulturists follow the footsteps of their Victorian forebears when the time comes, or just give up?

The trees are probably Platanus x acerifolia.

And finally another tree not included in our lists, but one I particularly like: Garrya elliptica:


It stays relatively small and isn't particularly demanding, making it a perfect plant for modern urban and Celtic Tiger housing estate gardens.

...which reminds me that I'm also fond of the smaller Sorbus spp. and vars, especially those in the Aucuparia section [Hillier 1998] with their delicate-looking pinnate leaves and variety of berry colours. Something like Sorbus vilmorinii is definitely on my "one day when" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment